The annual sports gala to recognise and support local athletes was held at the Palacio de Ferias y Congresos de Marbella this week.
In a hope of not only recognising the “work and effort of athletes, clubs and local businesses in promoting the sport," according to the Mayor Ángeles Muñoz, accompanied by councillor for sport Ángel Mora, and other members of the government team.
A total of 14 awards and presented in a ceremony that brought together the best athletes in the town who have raised the profile of the city “in all events you have participated nationally and internationally, obtaining excellent results and giving an example of the excellent facilities we have in Marbella, "said the councillor.
Ángel Mora pointed out that this event "was recovered last year after a long absence" and thanked the dedication and skill of the athletes, clubs and local businesses for their help in promoting sport in.
Special mentions this year went to the Fundación José Banús y Pilar Calvo, Unicaja Obra Social, Certamen Atlético Intercentros, Protección Civil, Cruz Roja Española, Policía Local and Coca Cola.
In addition, the Colegio Swans was honoured as the centre which has succeeded in bringing more sports to more people in the past year.
The winners were chosen by a vote over the Internet and the selection of a jury of local sports journalists and members of the municipal sports group, being awarded the following sports, clubs and local businesses:
– Male Athlete: Enrique Cortés Fortes (Skeet).
– Female Athlete: Azahara Muñoz Guijarro (golf).
– Sportsman Under 20: Alfonso Toledo Hidalgo (athletics).
– Athlete Under 15: Ángel Hidalgo Portillo (golf)
– Athlete with Disability: Javier Mérida Prieto (triathlon).
– Women’s Team: Conjunto infantil Club Gimnasia Rítmica Marbella.
– Men’s Team: Equipo infantil Marbella Rugby Club.
– Support: Fundación José Banús y Pilar Calvo.
– Sports Authority: Marbella Rugby Club.
– Labor de Cantera: CD Triatlón Marbella.
– Sporting Event: X Torneo Homenaje Andrés Fuentes-CD Costa del Voley.
– Sports Legend: Salvador Gil Machuca ‘Moñi’.
– Technical Sports: Patricia Rojano Ruiz (RG).
– Means of Communication (voted by Internet only): Marbella Express.