Three young children took cannabis in separate incidents over a fortnight and were taken for treatment to the Virgen de la Arrixaca hospital in Murcia City. The toddlers, aged between one and three, are not from the same family and the cases are not linked at all. All the youngsters suffered from breathing difficulties after ingesting the drug, with two of them losing consciousness before they recovered in the hospital’s intensive care unit.
Tests confirmed the presence of tetrahydrocannabinoids – the main ingredient in cannabis – in their systems. Social services have been informed of each case and are closely monitoring the children’s situations, having also contacted the Guardia Civil as part of standard procedure.
Officers are attempting to find out whether the three children ate marijuana through their parents’ negligence or were even given it, or whether the incidences are completely accidental and beyond their families’ control. Depending upon the outcome, the children may be taken into care.