Torrevieja council has said that 180 thousand euros of bills over materials for a suspended new park project in the El Chaparral and La Siesta area of the city have been put into the hands of a judge. The four-party coalition running the authority claim that there were improprieties over orders and contracts under the previous Partido Popular-run council.
Torrevieja’s employment councillor, Víctor Ferrández (pictured), speaking on Monday, said amongst the issues were a falsified signature on a contract and that no formal documentation had been found for the project
48 people from the Mediterraneo employment workshop had been involved with the 40 thousand square metre area which should have been finished at the end of 2015, with skateboard facilities, and water fountains, as part of the reinvigoration of a former piece of wasteland.
Before local elections in May 2015, the PP-run council claimed that the project was all running to schedule and would be finished before the end of that year, but was halted by the new coalition authority who said that invoices for materials were not produced and the project had run out of money.
Last October, PP Councillor Carmen Gómez submitted a motion calling on the council to make provision for the completion of the project to be paid for by the 2017 budget. She said that over 2,400 La Siesta and El Chaparral residents had signed a petition calling on the work to be completed. Gómez said this week that the latest developments all pointed to the “incompetence” of the coalition-run council.

Load More Related Articles
Load More In